How important are dental hygiene appointments? Do you still need them if you’re already taking good care of your smile at home?
Dental hygiene appointments are key components of preventative dental care, which we strongly advocate at Clinique Dentaire Remacle.
During dental cleaning appointments, your dental hygienist removes plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth.
Plaque is a soft film consisting of food debris and bacteria which sticks to the surfaces of the teeth. Tartar, on the other hand, is plaque that has hardened and can only be removed by a dental professional.
Bacteria found in plaque and tartar can collect at the gum line and cause gingivitis. By keeping up with your routine hygiene cleanings, you’re able to:
- Remove dental plaque and tartar
- Prevent cavities
- Prevent gingivitis
- Avoid bad breath
- Keep the teeth clean
- Avoid bacteria from sticking to the surfaces of the tooth
Routine Dental Hygiene Procedure
- Your dentist or dental hygienist uses instruments to gently remove deposits on your teeth.
- Large tartar pieces will be loosened and sprayed away with mists of water.
- Your dental hygienist will use a scaler to manually remove smaller deposits on your teeth and make them smooth after.
- Your dentist or hygienist will polish your teeth to complete the cleaning. They may also use fluoride to strengthen your teeth’s enamel.
How Long is a Dental Cleaning?
The appointment lasts about 30 minutes, depending on the amount of buildup on your teeth and how long it’s been since your last cleaning.
If you’ve been avoiding dental appointments due to fear or anxiety, please let us know. We’ll make you comfortable while you receive dental care.
Ready to Book Your Dental Hygiene Appointment?
If you would like to book a dental hygiene appointment, we’re here to help. Please contact us at 450-529-2244 and we’ll find a time that works for you.