Unhappy with the colour of your teeth? Have they yellowed?
Many patients choose to whiten their teeth. We offer various tooth whitening options at our dental office.
Tooth Whitening Options
- In-office tooth whitening. This dentist-administered tooth whitening option may require only one visit. Your dentist protects your gums with a gel or a rubber shield before applying to the bleaching solution.
- At-home tooth whitening. If you prefer to do the whitening yourself, then this option may be ideal for you. Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth for custom-made trays that will be manufactured at the dental lab. Once the trays are ready, the bleaching solution is applied to it. You will wear the trays according to the instructions provided by your dentist. This method may take a few weeks to take effect.
Aside from these tooth whitening treatments, there are whitening toothpastes and other over-the-counter products that you can check out. However, these products usually contain a small percentage of hydrogen peroxide and can only do so much to whiten teeth on the surface. They are often more abrasive in an attempt to remove stains.
For your safety, it’s best to consult your dentist first. And if you would like to try other products, look for the seal of approval from the Canadian Dental Association.
What You Need to Know
- Various factors can contribute to tooth staining and discolouration. In fact, our teeth are not naturally white to begin with. And as we age they darken. Here are more things that can make your teeth appear darker:
- Coloured food and beverages. Tomato, soda, iced tea, and black coffee are a few examples.
- Smoking. Tar and nicotine can leave stubborn stains on tooth surfaces.
- Medications. Certain medications can cause the teeth to darken.
- Tooth whitening may not work on some teeth. Whitening treatments aren’t effective on teeth with dental work like composite restorations or crowns.
- Tooth whitening isn’t permanent. Tooth whitening will require touch-ups. The frequency will depend on your diet, lifestyle, and your teeth’s condition.
Interested in Tooth Whitening?
Curious how easy it will be to brighten your smile? Ready to talk to a dentist at Dentistes REMA about your options?
Please contact our team at (450) 529‑2244 and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.